Publications & Research
- Climate Change and Wildfire – Curriculum Unit for 9-12 Grade Students
- Climate Change and the Carbon Cycle – Curriculum Unit for 9-12 Grade Students
- Where's Our Water? Water Conservation in the Southwest - Lesson for 6-8 Grade Students
- Climate Change and the Water Cycle - 10-Hour Curriculum Unit for 6-12 Grade Students
- The Effects of Climate Change on Agricultural Systems - 5-Hour Curriculum Unit for 6-12 Grade Students
- Cambio climatico y el ciclo del agua
- Webinars and Online Courses
- News & Events
- About Us
The Effects of Climate Change on Agricultural Systems - 5-Hour Curriculum Unit for 6-12 Grade Students
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in the USDA Southwest Climate Hub’s curriculum unit on Climate Change and the Carbon Cycle. This unit was designed to introduce 9-12 grade students to climate change, the carbon cycle, and the effects of increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide on Earth’s climate. We partnered with the Asombro Institute for Science Education (asombro.org) to design an engaging, fun, and scientifically rigorous education unit aligned with Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards.
The Effects of Climate Change on Agricultural Systems curriculum unit consists of five activities and was designed to be conducted over five days (or five hours). Each activity can also stand alone, however, and the unit need not be completed in its entirety.
You may download the entire curriculum at the link below, choose the resources you need from the list below, or click on the day pages in the left column, which contain links to the supporting materials for each activity organized by day taught.
To download curriculum:
- Select day/lesson from left column, or
- Download The Effects of Climate Change on Agricultural Systems complete guide (in PDF), or
- Select from the list of educator guides and digital resources by day listed below
- Curriculum Introduction
- Next Generation Science Standards Activity Chart
- Common Core State Standards Activity Chart
- Copyright Information
Interested in learning more about teaching these activities? Please help us organize an educator workshop in your area! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this opportunity.
List of educator guides and digital resources by day
Day 1 - Farms on the Table: Making Farmland Decisions in a Changing Climate
Day 2 - Interacting Adaptations: Trade-Offs in the Agriculture Industry
Day 3 - Wilt it be Productive? Modeling an Adaptation to Climate Change
Day 4 - Washed Away: Climate Change and Farmland Soil Quality
Day 5 - Get Out and Graze (GO AG!): Criollo vs. Angus Cattle in a Changing Climate